5 Easy Ways to be Happy!

I hope you didn’t miss International Day of Happiness yesterday? Personally I am not sure why it is only one day, surely it should be at least a week, a month, a year or even a lifetime shouldn’t it?

But one thing I did note is how perfectly it coincided with the start of spring here in the UK. And who doesn’t have a smile on their face when they see the masses of daffodils and crocuses around? Everything is starting to blossom and the whole world is coming back to life after winter, even the sun is coming out and warming up too.

This morning I did some research and found out that in 2014 the stats suggest that in the UK only 68% of the UK population are generally happy with their lives, but what about the other 32%, that is almost 1/3rd of people who are not happy. So what can we do to up our happiness levels?

  1. Make a Decision to be Happy

I know sometimes life can be hard and it can feel like we are being dealt a bad hand but it is our choice whether we grumble over the things that happen or whether we get on with it and choose to be happy and positive despite everything. Putting things into perspective usually works too. So even though it may not always be easy, it is definitely worth a try. Go outside and check out the daffodils for starters!

  1. Practice Happiness Daily

A bit like daily meditation, take time every day to be thankful for what you have got, not what you haven’t. An attitude of gratitude always helps to put a smile on your face. Also try to make time to do something for yourself that makes you happy, even if it is just ten minutes having a cuppa and reading a book or taking a ten-minute stroll and really noticing what is around you.

  1. Share your Happiness

It is always good to share our happiness with others. I visited a local shop the other day on my way to work and met with such a cheery shopkeeper, it put a smile on my face for the whole day. It doesn’t take much!

  1. Find Time to be More Creative

I am not the most creative person in the world and I often don’t know where to start but when I do find the time to do something creative it always makes me happy so I have recently made a concerted effort to be more creative, the kids love it too when we do creative stuff together. You can even make things to give away, a personal gift is always lovely to receive, and that takes us back to step 3, ‘Share your Happiness!’

  1. Share Your Time with Others

Making time for friends and family is sooooooo important. It is so easy to get wrapped up with our own busy lives that we barely have time for anyone else (I’m definitely guilty of this!) but finding time to catch up for a chat or play a game with your children is always worth it, everything else can wait!

These things seem so simple but everyone’s lives are so busy these days that some of us have let the simple things that make us happy slide, I know I did! Taking time to do some ‘nice’ stuff is what will do us all good!